Indicator 6 LRE Preschool
- About Indicator 6 - Indicator 6: Preschool Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) is a compliance measure that focuses on the percent of preschool children ages 3-5 with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) who received special education and related services in settings with typically developing peers (e.g., early childhood settings, home, and part-time early childhood/part-time early childhood special education settings). There are two components to this indicator:
- 6a. Children aged 3 through 5 with IEPs attend a regular early childhood program and receive the majority of special education and related services in the regular early childhood program
- 6b. Children aged 3 through 5 with IEPs attend a separate special education class, separate school, or residential facility
- Training - This page provides professionals, such as Special Education Administrators, Preschool Special Education Coordinators, and others responsible for oversight of Early Childhood Special Education programs, information on reporting requirements for Indicator 6, Preschool Least Restrictive Environment.
- Instructions - This page provides useful resources and instructions to complete data collection for Indicator 6, Preschool Least Restrictive Environment.
- State Data
Showing Results 1 - 8 of 8
Description: This page contains previous years, as well as the most recent data, on Indicator 6: Least Restrictive Environment. It is updated on an annual basis.
Description: Questions and Answers for Educational Environments and Children Birth-Five (Word) – This instructional document provides answers to frequently asked questions regarding Indicator 6. It is designed to assist Local Education Agency personnel in accurately collecting and reporting Indicator 6 data.
Description: Virginia Indicator 6 Data December 1, 2019 Indicator 6: Early Childhood Placement* Indicator 6: Early Childhood Environment for Children with IEPs Target A – Regular early childhood program and receiving the majority of special education and related services in the regular education childhood program; Target B – Separate special education class, separate school, or residential facility State Target for FFY 2018: Target A: Greater or equal to 35% Target B: Less than or equal to 17%...
Description: Indicator 6: Educational Environments for Children Birth-Five Instructions (Word) – This instructional document provides definitions to key vocabulary as well as steps for determining the accurate educational environment classification using the Indicator 6 Decision Tree. Indicator 6 Reporting Considerations during COVID-19 (Word) - This document provides considerations for reporting Indicator 6 during the December 1, 2020 Child Count.
Description: The Indicator 6 Decision Tree from Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) is designed to assist with reporting each child’s educational environment. This document provides the steps for determining the accurate educational environment classification.
Description: This tool, developed by the Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center, provides an application for determining the accurate educational environment classification. Click on “Virginia” to use the customized tool aligned with Virginia’s data reporting format. To begin, click on "Decision Tree" in the tool bar. To practice using the tool or to train others, click on Scenarios on the tool bar and then click on Scenario on the dropdown menu in the middle of the screen.
Description: Three webinars on Indicator 6 provide information on reporting requirements for Early Childhood Special Education Settings for Special Education Administrators, Preschool Special Education Coordinators, and others responsible for oversight of Early Childhood Special Education programs. Understanding Indicator 6: Early Childhood Special Education Settings for Children Ages Birth-Five provides an overview of the reporting requirements. Understanding the Indicator 6 Terminology: Early Childhood...
Description: The attached document provides step-by-step directions on how to analyze Early Childood data related to Child Count and Educational Placement. (Originally shared at 11/14/2016 LEADS breakout session "Getting to Know Your Division-Level Data.")