Research & Evidence-Based Practices
- Assessment - This page provides resources and professional development related to assessment in early childhood special education.
- Child Development - This page provides resources and professional development related to supporting the development of young children.
- Curriculum & Instruction - This page provides resources and professional development related to curriculum or instructional strategies used in preschool settings.
- Family Involvement - This page provides resources and professional development related to family engagement and building relationships with families.
- Inclusion - This page provides resources and professional development related inclusive practices that support concepts of least restrictive environment.
- Transition - This page provides resources and professional development related to transitioning from Part C (early intervention) to Part B (early childhood special education) services.
Showing Results 1 - 8 of 8
Description: This website is the Virginia Subdivision of The Division for Early Childhood (DEC) which exists to promote policies and advance evidence-based practices that support families and enhance the optimal development of young children (0-8) who have or are at risk for developmental delays and disabilities. DEC is an international membership organization for those who work with or on behalf of young children (0-8) with disabilities and other special needs and their families.
Description: The report begins with a concise description of the prekindergarten landscape in America today, authored by Ajay Chaudry and Rupa Ditta. A core group consisting of the four organizers (Dodge, Haskins, Lipsey, and Phillips) and five others (Daphna Bassok, Greg Duncan, Mark Dynarski, Katherine Magnuson, and Chris Weiland) took in all available information, reached consensus on the six major conclusions that form the basis for this report, and drafted the Consensus Statement summarizing the major...
Description: This free instructional content from FPG's autism team marked the formidable milestone after only 15 months, and here's what users around the world have been learning about how to apply evidence-based practices. What will I learn in a module? Key components of an EBP including the various approaches that can be used with learnerswith ASD Behaviors and skills that can be addressed using the practice A step-by-step process for applying the practice Specific resources that you can...
Description: This position statement jointly created by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and the Division for Early Childood (DEC) of the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) was published in 2009. It defines early childhood inclusion and clarifies what is meant by access, participation, and supports. The position statement can be found on the DEC website under resources: position statements. Look for "Inclusion (April 2009) to find the position statement...
Description: Included in this VPI+ video clip directory are a series of video clips that have been carefully vetted and selected by staff from the Center for Advanced Study of Teaching and Learning (CASTL). Video clips on specific topics can be narrowed down using the categories on the left. Please note: The links below direct you to a website not associated with the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Education (VDOE). The VDOE does not necessarily endorse the views expressed or the data and facts...
Description: A variety of one hour professional development archived webinars focused on early intervention and early childhood topics. These are hosted by the Division for Early Childhood and can be purchased $35.00 for non-DEC members; $25.00 for DEC members.
Description: The National Institute for Early Education Research (NIEER) conducts academic research to inform policy supporting high-quality, early education for all young children. Such education promotes the physical, cognitive and social development needed for children to succeed in school and later life. NIEER provides independent, research-based analysis and technical assistance to policymakers, journalists, researchers, and educators. NIEER publishes the "State of Preschool Yearbooks."
Description: The DEC Recommended Practices were developed to provide guidance to practitioners and families about the most effective ways to improve the learning outcomes and promote the development of young children, birth through age 5, who have or are at-risk for developmental delays or disabilities.