Indicator 7: Child Outcomes Summary Process Technical Assistance Document and Support Documents
The Indicator 7 Technical Assistance Document was developed in 2019 to assist school divisions to implement the COS process with fidelity. Support documents include the COS Summary Form, COS Decision Tree, COS Summary Rating Guide, and COS Process Discussion Prompts.
- Indicator 7: Child Outcomes Summary Process Technical Assistance Document - The purpose is to assist school divisions to implement the COS process with fidelity.
- Child Outcomes Summary Form - The COS form can be used to document child ratings. This newly revised form reflects all data required in the SSWS submission.
- Child Outcomes Summary Decision Tree - The COS Decision Tree provides guidance to teams completing child ratings by directing the team through questions about the child's abilities.
- Child Outcomes Summary Rating Guide - The COS Rating Guide can supplement or supplant the Decision Tree. The COS Rating Guide provides additional information about Age Expected, Immediate Foundational, and Foundational skills that may help teams make more informed and accurate ratings.
- The Child Outcomes Summary Process Discussion Prompts - This document provides questions for team members to consider when determining ratings for the three outcomes.
- Definitions for Outcome Ratings (7 scale definitions) -This document provides a definition of each of the seven ratings and is to be used when completing the Outcomes Summary Form.
It is recommended to use all of the documents when completing the COS process. It may be beneficial for the COS Decision Tree, COS Outcomes Summary Rating Guide, and the COS Process Discussion Prompts to be printed and provided to any team completing a rating for a child. Please also be sure to consider other Indicator 7 resources on the VDOE Website (http://doe.virginia.gov/early-childhood/disabilities/data-collection/index.shtml) and the LEADS Website (https://va-leads-ecse.org/indicator-7-resources).